Coronavirus (COVID-19): latest guidance

Learn English in Canada


Following the government’s announcement regarding changes to international travel restrictions for Canada, we’re pleased to announce that Stafford House is ready to welcome our international students to Calgary.

Following the decision by the Government of Ontario that the regions of Toronto and Peel will go into lockdown effective November 23rd 2020, all Toronto classes will take place online.

To keep you informed and fully prepared before you travel to our Toronto and Calgary schools, we have created the Stafford House Canada Safe Arrival and Study Guide.
Please read and complete this step-by-step guide and checklist before you arrive to study at our English schools in Canada.

Studying in Canada

Canada is the second largest country in the world, surpassed only by the Russian Federation. It is very diverse in its people, its cultures, its climate, and the way of life. Our two English schools are strategically located to introduce you to the best it has to offer and allow learning English in Canada as smooth as possible.



You can find out if you need a visa, and what type of visa you need, using the government of Canada’s 'Come to Canada Wizard'.



International students who wish to study in Canada for up to 6 months may need a Visitor Visa depending on the country for which they hold a passport. Please check the list of Countries and Territories Whose Citizens Require Visas in order to enter Canada as visitors.


Students do not need a "Study Permit" for study programs that last 6 months or less. If you plan to study in Canada for longer than 6 months, you must obtain a Study Permit. This is available through your local Canadian Embassy. Students may apply for a Study Permit even if they are going to study for 6 months or less. If students are coming for less than 6 months and are thinking of possibly extending their studies to more than 6 months, they should apply for a Study Permit in their home country. Students can extend their Study Permit from within Canada, but they cannot get a Study Permit from within Canada.


english Courses in Canada

Learning English in Canada is an incredible adventure and you can count on our specialist teachers to guide you and help immerse you in the English language.


Our Toronto and Calgary schools both offer General English for everyday use, IELTS Preparation courses, one-to-one English and our exciting University Pathways Programme. In Toronto we also offer Cambridge Exam Preparation, Business English and Professional Certificates which are both a perfect choice for any students wanting to expand their career prospects.


Your first day

At Stafford House, our job is to make your stay with us as comfortable and smooth as possible and kick start your English course in Canada


Coming to Canada to improve your English language skills is a big challenge in itself and that is why we are here to help you every step of the way. There will be lots of people to help you settle in and to answer any questions that you have. You will meet some of these people during your orientation on your first morning, and you will be able to see photographs of most of the staff in the reception area to help you remember their names.

What to expect on your first day

When you arrive at the school (at around 8:30AM) you will be greeted by our receptionist who will provide you with a welcome. 

English Test

When you arrive, you will need to do a placement test to make sure you go into a class that is at the right level of difficulty for you. Once you have completed this test, we will tell you your English level, teacher and classroom.

If at any point you are not happy with your level then you will be more than welcome to meet your Director of Studies.


All new students attend an induction on their first day. This covers:

You will also meet our team, including the Principal and Director of Studies.

When you register we will give you a student handbook and your course book (which is included in the fees).

What to bring

  • Your Passport
  • Any Fees Due
  • Confirmation of Registration

We look forward to meeting you!

Accreditations & the group

  • Study Holidays

    Courses for juniors and teenagers based at university campuses or in prestigious boarding schools in centres across the UK, USA and Canada.

    Visit website

  • Languages Canada

    Canada's national language education association representing more than 225 private and public members that offer accredited English and French programs.

    Visit website

  • CATS

    CATS College is one of Britain’s most distinguished education providers. For over 60 years we have helped thousands of students achieve their ambitions and progress to some of the world’s most prestigious universities.

    Visit website


    Cambridge School of Visual & Performing Arts - UK’s leading provider of Art & Design, Drama and Music pathway and degree programmes, accredited or in association with the UK’s leading institutions.

    Visit website

Contact Us