Coronavirus (COVID-19): latest guidance

Summer Jobs

 Recruitment for 2021

Thank you for visiting our careers page.

In common with many other language schools, 2020 has been a very challenging year for us. Due to the pandemic, we were not able to run our normal face-to-face summer centres and we moved into the virtual world, offering General English, as well as more specific courses to juniors. We have been pleased with the uptake of these programmes and for the summer 2021, we hope to offer a hybrid of face-to-face and virtual programmes.

We are not certain yet what will happen in the summer as this depends on government regulations at the time, not just in the UK, but also abroad. We are hoping that travel will be allowed, but we also understand that this will still be quite restricted. However, planning is still going ahead as normal. We welcome your application to work with us, either at a physical location, or if you’re a qualified teacher, also on one of our virtual courses which run throughout the year. 

Please read through the information on this webpage. There is a lot of information about what you can expect when you work with us. Applications can be made by sending a CV and covering email to Once we receive your CV, it will be vetted and if you’re a suitable candidate, we will invite you to complete our Expression of Interest form and will include you in our list of people to contact as a priority once decisions are made. In any case, we will always acknowledge receipt of your application.

Our ongoing commitment to safer recruitment and student safeguarding means that all successful applicants will be required to undergo a DBS Enhanced Disclosure or Disclosure Scotland check paid for by Stafford House Study Holidays. You will also be required to provide two professional references as well as explain any gaps in employment history.

We offer a great choice of high-quality courses and activities for young learners from all over the world in vibrant locations across the country. Our reputation for quality is recognised throughout the industry and we are passionate about our student experience. Each summer we recruit team members in teaching, welfare and activities roles, with the ability to lead, inspire and ensure our students have an unforgettable experience.

In order to teach with us, you must have an accredited TEFL certificate, such as the Cambridge CELTA. To get qualified, study for your CELTA at Stafford House London and increase your chances of securing a summer job with us.



Our academic programme provides the perfect learning adventure. Dynamic, interactive, informative and culturally integrated lessons will motivate students and enable them to build their confidence. Our academic team work hard creating the right conditions for students to learn English in an engaging and enjoyable way.



The activities programme is central to the success of any summer school. Our students aren't here just to study; they want to have fun after their classes have finished. Our programme includes excursions, games, arts & crafts, shows, quizzes and sports of all kinds.



Our students’ welfare is our number one priority, and all members of staff are required to take an active part in supervision duties. Our dedicated residential welfare team ensure that all student safety and wellbeing needs are catered for, ensuring that accommodation is allocated and that arrivals and departures are managed effectively.



For applicants with sufficient experience either in summer schools or a similar educational or leisure setting, we have numerous managerial roles in the academic, welfare and activities areas.


Venues and Dates

Weekly Sample Timetables

Venue Details
& Joining Instructions

Frequently asked questions:

Why work for Stafford House?

High Standards

We are a British Council accredited language school with over 27 years’ experience. Our standards and procedures are regularly checked by the British Council, and our student welfare procedures have set the standard for the rest of the industry.

Academic Excellence

We have a tried and tested syllabus and our own course books and materials. We employ dedicated professional teachers who are supported and guided by an experienced academic management team at head office.

Training and Support

All new non-management staff are given a full day's paid induction at the start of their contract. We welcome newly-qualified teachers and provide full support and ongoing training for them in the form of weekly seminars and workshops.

Pay and Conditions

We offer generous loyalty bonuses to all staff who have worked with us in the past two summers.

How long do contracts last?

The majority of contracts are 2-6 weeks long. This can vary according to the centre and there is a possibility for contracts to be extended during the summer.

What qualifications do I need? What if I’m newly qualified?

In order to teach at Stafford House, you must have an accredited TEFL-i qualification, such as the Cambridge CELTA or the Trinity CertTESOL. Other qualifications, such a PGCE in MFL with a TESOL component, or similar, are also accepted.If you are interested in doing a Cambridge CELTA, please visit our sister school in London which offers this both online and face-to-face.

We welcome applications from teachers with little or no experience. Stafford House Summer offers a strong support system for teachers. Each centre has an experienced Director of Studies and at least one senior teacher to help and advise on all aspects of teaching, including lesson planning. Furthermore, they will hold teacher development sessions which will reflect the needs of all of the teachers.

Finally, we have a tried and tested syllabus which you would follow. This means that you would not need to think up or create any lessons; rather you would be spending time on making the lesson relevant to your students and this reduces the need for lengthy lesson planning.

Are there any benefits for returning staff?

Staff who return to Stafford House for their second or subsequent summer are eligible for a loyalty bonus, as we anticipate that returning members of staff will share their knowledge with new colleagues. Staff who worked for us in the previous year complete a brief, fast track application form and there is no formal interview needed.

How/when will I be paid?

Our payroll is monthly and pay in lieu of unspent holidays is paid in your final payroll of the summer. If you need your wages sooner, we are partnered with Wagestream, which allows employees to access their wages as they're earned. Wagestream only ever provides access to wages that have been earned, so there is no borrowing or interest charged. It is not an advance or a loan.

As an employee, once you have downloaded the Wagestream app you can:

  • Track your earnings in real-time
  • Choose when and how often you get paid
  • Get tips on managing your money
  • Stream wages into a savings pot
  • More information on Wagestream can be found here

What are the rates of pay and do I get holiday pay?

The rates of pay are on the job descriptions.

All staff are entitled to 12.07% of their gross pay for pay in lieu of any unspent holidays. This is paid at the end of the contract.

What course materials are available?

We have our own in-house materials for each level which focus on speaking, listening, vocabulary and British culture. These are supplemented by activities from published materials, as well as project work. We expect the syllabus to be followed, but there is also the opportunity for you to personalise the lessons according to the students’ needs.

Teachers are welcome to bring their own materials to supplement the existing syllabus; however, this isn't necessary as each centre has its own extensive library of published resource books which you may use.

What documents do I need to bring?

Teachers need to bring their original teaching certificates and degree certificates with them to the centre, and all staff need to bring any other relevant certificates (e.g. first aid). All staff must have their passports (showing valid work permit, if applicable). If no passport is available, alternative proof of right to work in the UK must be provided, as well as alternative photo ID. All staff with valid DBS checks and/or COGC (with notarised translation) must bring the original copies of these to the centre. Not being able to produce these documents on your first day could result in a delayed start or to your unsuitability for the role, so please do ensure that you bring the correct documents with you.

What is a DBS check and a certificate of good conduct and how do I get one?

A DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) check is a document that allows employers to identify candidates who may be unsuitable for certain work, especially work that involves children or vulnerable adults. A DBS enhanced check will be sought for every member of staff and we will pay the costs for this.

For staff working in our Scottish centres, it is a mandatory requirement that you become a member of the PVG (Protection of Vulnerable Groups) scheme. This is very similar to a DBS check, but will assess you against the Scottish police register.

Because of the sensitive nature of the duties that successful applicants will be expected to undertake, all successful applicants will be required to complete a confidential declaration to include details of any criminal convictions, cautions, reprimands, final warnings and any other information that may have a bearing on their suitability for the post.

If you have been living outside of the UK for the past six months, you must also obtain a Certificate of Good Conduct to supplement your check or membership record. A clear COGC will demonstrate that you have not had any criminal convictions in your locality.

A COGC can be obtained from your local municipal authority (i.e. town hall, embassy or police) where you are registered in the Municipal Personal Records Database.

A COGC from your local authority may be known by another name, such as a Certificate of Clearance or Certificate of No Criminal Conviction.

Please note that we will not be able to progress with your application if you are unable to provide this.

Do I need to be a good sports player and know all the rules of the game?

No, many of our students are more interested in participating in games, arts and crafts, quizzes and drama, than in football or tennis. We are looking for staff who show a willingness to learn, participate enthusiastically and lead responsibly (we supply a manual for the setup and rules of most games) rather than proficient sports players, though we welcome applicants with a recognised coaching certificate, for which an increment is payable.

If I am keen to do further training what support would be available for me?

We are always looking at ways to support our staff and to provide relevant and useful training. If you are an English Teacher or Activity Leader interested in becoming a qualified life saver or first aider Stafford House will reimburse up to 50% of the cost of training if a recognised certificate is obtained, up to a maximum of £75 for first aid courses and £130 for lifeguarding courses. Please note, however, that all courses must be booked in consultation with the recruitment department.

All Student Welfare Officers will undergo first aid training as part of their pre-course training and induction.

In addition to this we also provide weekly training workshops with a practical focus for all staff;in these sessions, you will be offered tips and techniques that will help you to put your skills into practice straightaway!

My friend and I want to be based at the same centre and share a room - is that possible?

Whilst we do not discourage friends or partners from working together at a centre, we are fully committed to ensuring that we resource our centres with an accurate balance of staff and skill set. Vacancies are determined by the number of groups that join us and for each centre this can differ, therefore we cannot guarantee placing staff together.

As rooms are based on single occupancy only; we are unfortunately unable to make provisions for room sharing.

What is included in residential positions?

Single rooms are provided for residential staff at the majority of our centres. Full board (breakfast, lunch and dinner) is provided. Bed linen is provided at each centre but you will need to bring your own towels.

I live abroad. What tax forms do I need to complete?

Your contract pack will include a form that will be used by HMRC to assess your tax liability. If you have a P46 dated since April of the current year, please send us a copy of this. The P46 information tells the tax office if you have a National Insurance number and provide a tax code. If you haven’t got an NI number, please don’t worry. When you have finished your work with us, you should complete a P85 and send it to Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) along with parts 2 and 3 of your p45, which you will be issued with at the end of your employment. These allow HMRC to work out your tax properly, and the p85 will start the process of claiming back any tax refunds due to you.

Contact Us